SECURITY OFFICERPart Time
Competition number: J0422-0720
Status: Part-Time continuing
Hours: Flexible schedule (on call). Hours of work vary from Monday to Sunday. Shifts can range from 12:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.; 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; and 4:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
Hourly salary: $24.04
Closing date: October 23, 2022
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
It is the National Arts Centre’s goal to be a more welcoming, inclusive, accessible, and diverse organization for all Canadians. We believe that the basis of this inclusivity requires a socially and culturally diverse workforce and, therefore, we actively seek to recruit candidates who identify as women, Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour (IBPoC), persons from the LGBTQ2+ community and persons with disabilities. We encourage you to self-identify in the recruitment process.
Resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, to ensure the safety of all NAC employees, and in keeping with Ottawa Public Health (OPH) guidelines, it is recommended that while working from the NAC employees should wear masks. Whether individuals decide to wear a mask or not, we thank you for being respectful of others’ choices. Additionally, it is recommended to follow OPH guidelines on workplace preventive practices, (such as distancing, masking when distancing is not possible, ventilation, cleaning, workplace testing, and screening programs) to help prevent transmission.
On occasion, the NAC may impose the wearing of masks and the enforcement of rapid testing should it be deemed reasonable and necessary to do so.
Due to the nature of the position, you will be required to report into the National Arts Centre (NAC) building full-time, effective your first date of employment.
Introducing the National Arts Centre
The National Arts Centre (NAC) is Canada’s bilingual, multi-disciplinary home for the performing arts. The NAC presents, creates, produces, and co-produces performing arts programming in various streams—the NAC Orchestra, Dance, English Theatre, French Theatre, Indigenous Theatre, and Popular Music and Variety—and nurtures the next generation of audiences and artists from across Canada.
Curious to learn more? We invite you to read our strategic plan for 2020-2023 in The Next Act.
Collaboration, innovation and community-led engagement are only some of the many initiatives the NAC will leverage to help shape a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive future for the performing arts in Canada. One that embodies our slogan and loudly proclaims that Canada is our stage.
Reporting to the Manager, Security, the incumbent is accountable for the security of the NAC facilities while providing information to the artists, the visiting public and staff of the Centre.
Additional duties include but not limited to:
· attending to the central command office;
· documenting all routine activities on the Security Management Software;
· monitoring fire alarm panels and video surveillance cameras;
· accessing the control system and sensor and motion alarms;
· directing pedestrian and vehicle traffic;
· administrating building keys and access Fobs;
· responding to emergency and first aid calls;
· patrolling the Centre during all hours especially during performance times;
· controlling crowds;
· securing all doors and entrances.
· College diploma in Law & Security with three (3) years related security experience, or an equivalent combination of education, work experience and a Provincial Security License would be an asset;
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, CCTV and Security Management Software;
· Must be able to stand & exert well paced mobility for up to eight (8) hours;
· Ability to follow directions and work with limited supervision;
· Ability to work under pressure and to react quickly in emergency situations;
· Must be friendly, upbeat, and work well with other employees and be able to interact with guests;
· Exceptional customer service skills;
· Excellent interpersonal skills, tact and discretion with patrons;
· First Aid and CPR certificates would be an asset;
· WHMIS training a definite asset and will be required upon hire;
· Fluently bilingual in both official languages (English and French) with strong communication and interpersonal skills;
· A past record of satisfactory attendance and punctuality is a requirement. *
*Regular attendance at work is an expectation of employment and an essential part of every job.
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
All communication will be conducted through email and interviews via videoconferencing. Please ensure to have the most up-to-date information on your resume including your current email address.
If you are a person with a disability and require accommodation for an interview or written exam, please advise us when initially contacted.
The successful candidate will be required to provide the original or a certified true copy of their education credentials as appropriate, along with proof of a valid Background Check as a condition of employment.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted by us.
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume online through our ‘Careers Opportunities’ website at https://nac-cna.ca/en/careers.
CONNECT WITH US!