Competition Number: J0823-0432
Department: Food and Beverage
Status: Part-time, continuing
Hours: As needed (days, evenings, weekends and holidays)
Salary: $16.65 per hour plus double gratuities – as per the HSTU Collective Agreement
Closing date: December 10, 2023
Anticipated start date: Immediately
Introducing the National Arts Centre
The National Arts Centre (NAC) is Canada’s bilingual, multi-disciplinary home for the performing arts. The NAC presents, creates, produces, and co-produces performing arts programming in various streams—the NAC Orchestra, Dance, English Theatre, French Theatre, Indigenous Theatre, and Popular Music and Variety—and nurtures the next generation of audiences and artists from across Canada.
Curious to learn more? We invite you to read our strategic plan for 2020-2023 in The Next Act.
Collaboration, innovation and community-led engagement are only some of the many initiatives the NAC will leverage to help shape a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive future for the performing arts in Canada, one that embodies our slogan and loudly proclaims that Canada is our stage.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
It is the National Arts Centre’s goal to be a more welcoming, inclusive, accessible, and diverse organization for all Canadians. We believe that the basis of this inclusivity requires a socially and culturally diverse workforce and, therefore, we actively seek to recruit candidates who identify as women, Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour (IBPoC), persons from 2SLGBTQ+ communities and persons with disabilities. We encourage you to self-identify in the recruitment process.
Reporting to the Assistant General Manager, Food & Beverage, the Banquet Captain is responsible for overseeing each aspect of banquets catered by the National Arts Centre’s Food & Beverage Department. Supervising banquet staff allocated to your events, you will direct the duties of each team member. Liaising with housekeeping and other departments of the NAC when necessary, you will ensure that our facilities remain clean and that our client’s needs are met. Additional duties include providing reports for management regarding each event held and ensuring that the appropriate paperwork is completed for billing and inventory purposes. The Banquet Captain receives a double portion of the tipout that is collected.
The ideal incumbent is able to communicate effectively in both official languages, has outstanding customer service skills and has extensive knowledge of Food & Beverage Service. With regards to management skills, along with a minimum of three years of comparable experience you must possess the ability to instruct, inspire and motivate your team and have the ability to create harmony when opposing views exist. Additionally, you must thrive in an ever-changing, fast paced environment where the hours of work are often long.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Must be able to demonstrate that they are reliable: this position is responsible for the overall running of NAC events under tight timelines, Banquet Captains often bein the first to arrive to coordinate teams;
• Must be able to demonstrate trustworthiness and diplomacy: this position is responsible / accountable for tracking inventory, reporting final counts and deposits involving money at end of shift. In addition, the Banquet Captain is often called upon to participate in confidential matters that require diplomacy and the ability to keep information confidential;
• Must be able to demonstrate, through concrete examples, their ability to lead a team effectively: this position leads one or more teams of varying levels of experience service personnel at any given time and must ensure that our client’s needs are met at all times.
• High School diploma;
• Must have Smart Serve certification;
• Must be bilingual (English/French) in both official languages;
• Minimum 3 years experience in a similar position supervising staff in an unionized environment;
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain a good working relationship with colleagues and clients;
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule, perform multiple tasks and prioritize effectively;
• Ability to work an irregular schedule to meet business needs (evenings, weekends and statutory holidays);
• Experience developing and training employees;
• Superior customer service skills;
• Extensive knowledge of food & beverage service;
• Ability to work under pressure in a busy environment;
• Ability to problem solve is a must;
• Physical work will be required;
• Must be able to lift up to 50 lb on a regular basis;
• Must be able to push/pull carts weighing up to 100lb;
• Must be able to stand & exert well-paced mobility for up to 12 hours;
• Ability to stand and walk throughout the shift and reach hands and arms in any direction;
• Strong knowledge of computer applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and catering software;
• Satisfactory attendance and punctuality are a requirement*.
*Regular attendance at work is an expectation of employment and an essential part of every job.
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
As part of NAC’s interview process, in-person interviews may be required. Please ensure to have the most up-to-date information on your résumé including your current email address.
The National Arts Centre (NAC) is committed to inclusive employee recruitment and selection. The NAC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the selection process, please inform us as soon as possible and we will make every effort to fulfill your accommodation request.
The successful candidate will be required to provide the original or a certified true copy of their education credentials as appropriate, along with proof of a valid Background Check as a condition of employment.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted by us.
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and résumé online through the “Career Opportunities” section of our website at https://nac-cna.ca/en/careers.
CONNECT WITH US! LinkedIn
Facebook Twitter Instagram