GENERAL MAINTENANCE WORKER – OPERATIONSFull Time
GENERAL MAINTENANCE WORKER – OPERATIONS
Competition Number: J0323-1392
Status: Part-Time continuing
Hours: As required. (weekends, evenings and weekdays). A minimum of 8-hour shift is required as per the PSAC collective agreement. These shifts generally start at 6:00 am and go to 2:30 pm.
Hourly salary: $22.89
Closing date: April 23, 2023
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
It is the National Arts Centre’s goal to be a more welcoming, inclusive, accessible, and diverse organization for all Canadians. We believe that the basis of this inclusivity requires a socially and culturally diverse workforce and, therefore, we actively seek to recruit candidates who identify as women, Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour (IBPoC), persons from the 2SLGBTQ+ community and persons with disabilities. We encourage you to self-identify in the recruitment process.
Introducing the National Arts Centre
The National Arts Centre (NAC) is Canada’s bilingual, multi-disciplinary home for the performing arts. The NAC presents, creates, produces, and co-produces performing arts programming in various streams—the NAC Orchestra, Dance, English Theatre, French Theatre, Indigenous Theatre, and Popular Music and Variety—and nurtures the next generation of audiences and artists from across Canada.
Curious to learn more? We invite you to read our strategic plan for 2020-2023 in The Next Act.
Collaboration, innovation and community-led engagement are only some of the many initiatives the NAC will leverage to help shape a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive future for the performing arts in Canada, one that embodies our slogan and loudly proclaims that Canada is our stage.
Under the direction of the Lead Hand, the incumbent is responsible for performing a range of duties within janitorial, trades and maintenance. The incumbent is not limited to any function of a specific position and may at any time be reassigned for various departmental requirements. The incumbent may also be required to work alongside and assist outside contractors.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Washroom cleaning;
• Recycle and garbage disposal;
• Using walk behind and ride-on machinery, scrubbers and sweepers;
• Dusting and mopping;
• Litter pick-up and removal;
• Performing other related activities as required.
• Successfully completed a High School diploma;
• Minimum of one (1) year of related janitorial experience using industrial vacuums, floor scrubbers and operating carpet cleaners;
• Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs on a regular basis;
• Must be able to push/pull carts weighing up to 200 lbs;
• Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill cleaning tasks;
• Must be able to stand & exert well-paced mobility for up to 8 hours;
• Ability to follow directions and work with limited supervision;
• Ability to work under pressure and to react quickly in emergency situations;
• Must be friendly, upbeat, and work well with other employees and be able to interact with guests;
• WHMIS training a definite asset and will be required upon hire;
• Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Bilingualism in both official languages (English/French) is an asset;
• A past record of satisfactory attendance and punctuality is a requirement*.
*Regular attendance at work is an expectation of employment and an essential part of every job.
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
All communication will be conducted through email. Please ensure to have the most up-to-date information on your résumé including your current email address.
If you are a person with a disability and require accommodation for an interview or written exam, please advise us when initially contacted.
The successful candidate will be required to provide the original or a certified true copy of their education credentials as appropriate, along with proof of a valid Background Check as a condition of employment.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted by us.
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and résumé online through the “Career Opportunities” section of our website at https://nac-cna.ca/en/careers.
CONNECT WITH US! LinkedIn
Facebook Twitter Instagram