Competition number: J0522-1564
Department: Food and Beverage, Kitchen
Status: Part-time, continuing
Hours: Afternoons, evenings, weekends and holidays
Hourly salary: $23.90 as per the HSTU Collective Agreement
Closing date: October 30, 2022
Anticipated start date: Immediately
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
It is the National Arts Centre’s goal to be a more welcoming, inclusive, accessible, and diverse organization for all Canadians. We believe that the basis of this inclusivity requires a socially and culturally diverse workforce and, therefore, we actively seek to recruit candidates who identify as women, Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour (IBPoC), persons from the LGBTQ2+ community and persons with disabilities. We encourage you to self-identify in the recruitment process.
Resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, to ensure the safety of all NAC employees, and in keeping with Ottawa Public Health (OPH) guidelines, it is recommended that while working from the NAC employees should wear masks. Whether individuals decide to wear a mask or not, we thank you for being respectful of others’ choices. Additionally, it is recommended to follow OPH guidelines on workplace preventive practices, (such as distancing, masking when distancing is not possible, ventilation, cleaning, workplace testing, and screening programs) to help prevent transmission.
On occasion, the NAC may impose the wearing of masks and the enforcement of rapid testing should it be deemed reasonable and necessary to do so.
Due to the nature of the position, you will be required to work from the National Arts Centre (NAC) building, effective your first date of employment.
Introducing the National Arts Centre
The National Arts Centre (NAC) is Canada’s bilingual, multi-disciplinary home for the performing arts. The NAC presents, creates, produces, and co-produces performing arts programming in various streams—the NAC Orchestra, Dance, English Theatre, French Theatre, Indigenous Theatre, and Popular Music and Variety—and nurtures the next generation of audiences and artists from across Canada.
Curious to learn more? We invite you to read our strategic plan for 2020-2023 in The Next Act
Collaboration, innovation and community-led engagement are only some of the many initiatives the NAC will leverage to help shape a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive future for the performing arts in Canada. One that embodies our slogan and loudly proclaims that Canada is our stage.
Reporting to the Executive Sous Chef, the Chef de Partie is responsible to oversee the preparation, cooking and presentation of meals for banquets and for our restaurant 1 ELGIN in accordance with accepted standards of quality. Duties include directing culinarians in their section in preparing, cooking, and presenting culinary dishes; enforcing health and hygiene standards; and trouble-shooting any problems that may arise. The incumbent will work closely with the Executive Chef and the Executive Sous Chef to ensure the kitchen is running smoothly and efficiently.
· Red Seal and Culinary Arts Diploma is required; Certified Chef de Cuisine designation preferred;
· Minimum of five (5) years of proven experience in a senior cook role;
· Experienced in International Cuisine;
· In depth experience in all areas of cooking (pastry, fish, meat & vegetable preparation);
· Experience leading a large team,
· Excellent communication and leadership skills; proven ability to teach others;
· Physical work will be required;
· Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs on a regular basis;
· Must be able to push/pull carts weighing up to 100lbs;
· Must be able to stand & exert well-paced mobility for up to 12 hours;
· Good organizational skills and initiative;
· Creative and enthusiastic;
· Available to work an irregular schedule (Afternoons, evenings, weekends and holidays);
· Extensive knowledge of current cooking trends;
· Ability to work under pressure in a very busy environment;
· Ability to communicate orally in both official languages would be an asset.
· A past record of satisfactory attendance and punctuality is a requirement.*
*Regular attendance at work is an expectation of employment and an essential part of every job.
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
All communication will be conducted through email and interviews via videoconferencing. Please ensure to have the most up-to-date information on your resume including your current email address.
If you are a person with a disability and require accommodation for an interview or written exam, please advise us when initially contacted.
The successful candidate will be required to provide the original or a certified true copy of their education credentials as appropriate, along with proof of a valid Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted by us.
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume online through our ‘Careers Opportunities’ website at http://clients.njoyn.com/CL4/xweb/xweb.asp?clid=74526&page=jobdetails&jobid=J0522-1564&BRID=EX268084&SBDID=21728&LANG=1