By joining the Global Centre for Pluralism, you will become a member of a committed staff that values collaboration and creativity, and deeply cares about the work we do. At the Centre, we believe that societies thrive when differences are valued. Our mission is to influence perspectives, inform policies and inspire pathways to advance pluralism. Our work supports societies looking to address injustice, inequality and exclusion, while remaining grounded in the contexts and lived experiences of each place. We work with policy leaders, educators and community builders around the world to amplify and implement the transformative power of pluralism.
We are fortunate to work in a beautifully restored, spacious heritage building in downtown Ottawa at 330 Sussex Drive. Beautifully appointed spaces of various sizes are available for internal and external executive meetings, seminars, panel discussions, workshops, receptions, banquets, remote / hybrid meetings, social events (weddings, concerts etc.) as well as photography and videography shoots. For more information about the Centre’s space rental program, please visit https:// www.pluralism.ca/meetings-weddings/.
Our principles and commitments
Here are the core principles that inform our work:
· We aim to embody pluralism in who we are and everything we do.
· We are creative and courageous, highly professional with a commitment to quality.
· We remain accountable by keeping our work grounded in learning and collaboration.
· We choose to own the discomfort and tensions inherent to our work.
· We focus on achieving transformational results.
About the position
Based in Ottawa, this is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic individual who has a passion for providing clients, both external and internal, with an exceptional end-to-end event experience. This business-oriented individual will also have an opportunity to help shape the future direction of the rental program and to help position the Centre as a premier venue for local, national and international events.
There are several additional benefits offered to staff, including:
· Professional development opportunities
· Health insurance coverage
· Paid sick and personal days
· An RRSP matching program after 1 year of employment
· A parental leave top-up
Main duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Business & Operations, Events Coordinator has overall responsibility for the coordination of Centre’s signature space rental program, Spaces@330 Sussex. They will be responsible for:
· Working with both internal and external clients to lead event planning, design and execution including selection of preferred vendors and suppliers required for events.
· Maintaining and streamlining event processes and templates.
· Pre-event planning including responsibility for obtaining quotes and booking of preferred vendors, creating floor plans, coordinating and scheduling of deliveries and creating and maintaining an operational logistical plan for the event execution.
· Responding to external rental inquiries and conducting client tours of event spaces, preparation of quotes and/or budgets based on event objectives and desired execution style.
· Ensuring event day logistics are effectively managed including responsibility for full set-up and tear down of events and coordinating on-site suppliers including working closely with clients to ensure any last-minute changes or adjustments are made efficiently and effectively.
· Conducting post-event debrief sessions and ensuring lessons learned and best practices are incorporated into future events.
· Creating and executing sales and marketing programs, bundled event packages designed to attract organizations to host their events at the Centre.
· Managing relationships with preferred vendors and suppliers.
· Handling cost and invoicing aspects of events including creating purchase orders, ensuring invoices are received and conducting final event cost analysis after events are completed.
· Acquiring and overseeing event supplies and equipment as needed.
Skills and experience
The ideal candidate will be a creative and resourceful individual with business orientation and excellent organizational, planning and communication skills. This individual thrives in a fast paced, multi- stakeholder environment and excels at managing competing priorities and tight deadlines. They are committed to the values of pluralism as defined by the Centre.
Specifically, this individual will possess:
• Post-secondary education in Event Management, Business, Commerce or Marketing from an accredited college or university required.
• 2+ years of demonstrated experience in event coordination and marketing in a complex, multi- stakeholder fast-paced environment with a track record of successful event execution.
• Ability to develop professional relationships in all aspects of the position that results in consistent, reliable and courteous communications.
• Ability to problem solve and work independently in a changing and multi-tasking environment with multiple deadlines.
• Good grasp of event budgeting and post event cost analysis.
• Proficient in the use of standard software commonly used in office environments and in support of event management and execution.
• Demonstrated ability for accuracy, thoroughness and attention to detail.
• Strong technical A/V knowledge is an asset.
• Fluency in English (speak, read, write) is essential, proficiency in French is desirable; abilities in other languages welcome.
• Must be available to work some early mornings, late evenings and weekends.