Competition Number: J0823-0423
Department: Food and Beverage
Status: Part- Time, continuing
Hours: Mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekends
Salary: $16.65 an hour plus gratuities – as per the HSTU Collective Agreement
Closing date: March 24th, 2024
Anticipated start date: As soon as possible
Introducing the National Arts Centre
The National Arts Centre (NAC) is Canada’s bilingual, multi-disciplinary home for the performing arts. The NAC presents, creates, produces, and co-produces performing arts programming in various streams—the NAC Orchestra, Dance, English Theatre, French Theatre, Indigenous Theatre, and Popular Music and Variety—and nurtures the next generation of audiences and artists from across Canada.
Curious to learn more? We invite you to read our strategic plan for 2020-2023 in The Next Act.
Collaboration, innovation and community-led engagement are only some of the many initiatives the NAC will leverage to help shape a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive future for the performing arts in Canada, one that embodies our slogan and loudly proclaims that Canada is our stage.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
It is the National Arts Centre’s goal to be a more welcoming, inclusive, accessible, and diverse organization for all Canadians. We believe that the basis of this inclusivity requires a socially and culturally diverse workforce and, therefore, we actively seek to recruit candidates who identify as women, Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour (IBPoC), persons from 2SLGBTQ+ communities and persons with disabilities. We encourage you to self-identify in the recruitment process.
Banquet Servers are responsible for positive guest interactions while serving the NAC’s events on and occasionally, off-premises. As part of your duties you will follow through with the timely set-up and execution of banquet events. This includes table set-ups, moving chairs, stages, portable bars, risers, dance floors and any other items requested by our clients. Your duties during the event can vary based on the situation but shall include serving guests while moving about freely, which can include bending, climbing stairs and carrying items. Servers are expected to work as bartenders depending on our guests needs. Additional responsibilities include breaking down table set ups and returning items to the appropriate areas of our operation. The successful incumbent has the ability to follow directions efficiently, meets the physical demands of the job and has a positive and attentive attitude enabling them to be professional and courteous to all guests at all times.
• Must have a high school diploma;
• Minimum of six (6) months experience in a similar banquet or server position;
• “Smart Serve” Certificate will be required during the hiring process;
• Bartending experience would be an asset;
• Finely honed customer service skills;
• Ability to meet the physical demands as identified in key activities;
• Physical work will be required;
• Must be able to lift up to 50 lb on a regular basis;
• Must be able to push/pull carts weighing up to 100lb;
• Must be able to stand & exert well-paced mobility for up to 12 hours;
• Ability to stand and walk throughout the shift and reach hands and arms in any direction;
• Ability to work well under pressure;
• Ability to work well in a team environment and demonstrate solid relationship building skills;
• Ability to follow specific direction;
• Ability to work an irregular schedule to meet business needs (evenings, weekends and statutory holidays);
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills;
• Bilingual in both official languages (English and French);
• A past record of satisfactory attendance and punctuality is a requirement*.
*Regular attendance at work is an expectation of employment and an essential part of every job.
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
As part of NAC’s interview process, in-person interviews may be required. Please ensure to have the most up-to-date information on your résumé including your current email address.
The National Arts Centre (NAC) is committed to inclusive employee recruitment and selection. The NAC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the selection process, please inform us as soon as possible and we will make every effort to fulfill your accommodation request.
The successful candidate will be required to provide the original or a certified true copy of their education credentials as appropriate, along with proof of a valid Background Check as a condition of employment.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted by us.
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and résumé online through our website’s “Career Opportunities” section at https://nac-cna.ca/en/careers.
CONNECT WITH US! LinkedIn
Facebook Twitter Instagram