POSITION TITLE : Program Assistant (Bilingual EN/FR), Durable Solutions for Refugees team
POSITION LOCATION: National Capital Region (hybrid work model)
CONTRACT TERM: Indeterminate
SALARY LEVEL: SUP 5 ($ 43,000 – 48,000)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 12, 2022
EXPECTED START DATE: As soon as possible
WUSC is currently looking for a Program Assistant to provide administrative support to the Durable Solutions for Refugees team.
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees.
Active on more than 90 university, college, and CEGEP campuses, WUSC is the leading Canadian NGO working with students, faculty and college and university leaders on issues of international engagement and forced migration. Since the 1940s, campus-based WUSC Local Committees have been raising awareness about global development issues, and have sponsored student refugees to resettle in Canada and pursue their higher education through the Student Refugee Program (SRP). WUSC is also piloting a new refugee sponsorship initiative that connects young refugees to work placements in the Tourism and Hospitality sector (HIRES).
Reporting to the Managers – Overseas Programming and Canadian Programming, the Program Assistant has responsibility to provide administrative support to the Durable Solutions team, including Campus Engagement and the SRP, as well as other initiatives. More specifically, the Program Assistant will:
- Assist with the development of systems, processes and tools for improved SRP student and Local Committee management;
- Assist with the preparation of contracts for vendors and consultants;
- Assist with the development, production and distribution of promotional and communications products;
- Maintain accurate records in the stakeholder database;
- Coordinate the administration of Canadian immigration form processes for sponsored refugees and sponsoring groups ;
- Coordinate the outreach and ongoing communication with SRP alumni interested in the Federal Internship for Newcomers initiative;
- Respond to general internal and external inquiries about programs and projects.
- Maintain and update electronic program files and records, including archived materials;
- Develop, implement and maintain administrative and communication tools for the DSR, Campus Engagement and SRP team;
- Administer Canadian and International travel arrangements (including, the processing of visa applications) for staff, training participants and others associated with programs and projects;
- Prepare electronic files for send-out to large audiences using mail-merge technology;
- Facilitate translation of materials and documents;
- Assist with logistical arrangements for events and conferences including coordinating the technical support for on-line training and administering travel arrangements for presenters and training/event participants;
- Order office supplies and manage inventory;
- Prepare correspondence for mail / courier / shipping;
- Coordinate the WUSC campus network to participate in the WUSC Annual General Assembly
- Prepare finance requisitions and manage bill payments;
- Process fundraising and financial contribution campaigns received by sponsoring groups;
- Support, monitor, and process requests for funds by Local Committees;
- Prepare requisitions for advance requests and expense reports for overseas partners and staff members.
Other duties as required
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
Diploma, Bachelor’s degree in a related field (administration, social sciences,refugee studies, international development, public administration), or equivalent with relevant experience.
EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, including ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple initiatives simultaneously;
- Solid computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet, database management, online survey tools, electronic mail and graphics;
- Familiarity with the Google Suite is an asset;
- Strong skills in financial processes including preparation of requisitions and review of expense reports;
- Strong interpersonal skills: able to work well with teams under tight deadlines;
- At least two years of experience in a similar field (administrative, planning, project management);
- Experience working in an NGO environment and in donor-funded projects considered an asset;;
- Knowledge of the Canadian post-secondary educational system and Canadian immigration processes for refugees is an asset;
- Well-developed writing skills: clear, concise, persuasive writing style;
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently; and
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt.
Complete fluency, oral and written in English and French is essential.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is in centrally located Hintonburg in Ottawa. Currently WUSC team members are working either remotely or in a hybrid model, depending on the position. WUSC offers flexible working arrangements, competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from newcomers to Canada and people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.