Junior System AdministratorFull Time
Sander Geophysics (SGL) specializes in high-resolution airborne geophysical surveys for resource exploration, as well as geographical and environmental mapping. The company carries out airborne gravity, magnetic, electromagnetic, and radiometric surveys, using fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters.
Reporting to the IT Manager, the Junior System Administrator performs day-to-day administration of SGL’s infrastructure through maintaining, upgrading, managing and troubleshooting our software, hardware and networks.
Responsibilities of the Position
· Assists Systems Administrators
· Installs and administers software and hardware while providing monitoring and maintenance of physical server infrastructure
· Recommends, implements, and administers networking technologies to support and enhance internal/external electronic communication (internet access, firewalls, routers, system switches, and wireless access points)
· Contributes to the development, implementation, and maintenance of procedures and security controls
· Ensures network performance through testing, monitoring, and statistics reporting
· Performs installation, configuration, support and monitoring of security systems, network security appliances
· Contributes to system security administration on designated technology platforms, including operating systems, applications and network security devices
· Administers network security for perimeter and end-points, as well as the interoperability of information security systems
· Provides timely technical support to office staff and field crews as required
· Understands, complies with and promotes all company safety precautions and policies including reporting hazards and incidents encountered in daily operations
· Other duties as requested by manager dependent on operational needs
Qualifications and Experience
· Post-Secondary Degree or Diploma in computer science, related field or combined education and experience in a Junior System Administrator or similar role
· Experience installing, configuring and deploying Linux Server operating systems
· Ability to produce thorough and effective technical documentation
· Strong interpersonal, teamwork and communications skills
· Able to solve problems quickly
The following would be an asset:
· Knowledge of system security (e.g. intrusion detection systems) and data backup/recovery;
· Knowledge of Active Directory as it applies to SAMBA;
· Experience with MySQL, Postfix, and Dovecot, and segmented networks and VPN technologies;
· Experience installing, configuring and deploying VMWare, Docker, and Windows Server operating systems;
· Experience in writing scripts in Powershell, Bash, Python, Perl or other language. For the purposes of diagnostics and the automation of processes;
· Knowledge of Cyber Security principles and best practices;
· Solid understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts; and
· Familiarity with server migration process, security and hardening of servers.
· Maintains a high level of technical and operational knowledge through direct engagement with colleagues and personal development;
· Must be a proactive Independent worker who also can make positive contributions to the team;
· Maintains good records and documentation;
· Effective use of time management; and
· Provides status reports on projects weekly.
SGL is committed to promoting employee wellness and successful work-life balance. Employee benefits include (but are not limited to):
· Comprehensive benefits coverage including health, dental, vision, and paramedical;
· Life insurance;
· Employee and family assistance program;
· Paid vacation, personal leave, and medical leave;
· On-site gym; and
· On-site parking.
For more information about Sander Geophysics, visit our website www.sgl.com
Interested applicants should send their resume to email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line of the email.
Sander Geophysics is an equal opportunity employer. Please note that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. We thank all applicants for their interest.