By generating and distributing power, each person at Hydro Ottawa is part of empowering the lives of people in the communities we serve.
Our work means all the activities that make up our lives – at home, at work, at play – are there when we need them.
That purpose unites us and fuels our work. And if joining us in this essential work energizes you too, we may have the opportunity for you.
This role is the lead in providing strategic and tactical advice on “running” the distribution system. It looks at reliability and economic optimization of operating configurations, development of single and dual element contingency plans for system operations, and provide real-time review of operating constraints for switching and loading activities in daily operation. Familiarity with load flows, circuit loadings and capacities, equipment ratings, short circuit calculations etc. is important. There is significant contact and liaison with the control room, stations staff, reliability field staff and construction groups to ensure there is an accurate and well understood system condition “picture” at all times. Provide input into strategic programs such as distribution automation and future capital programs to enhance reliability numbers. Manage the implementation of the capital budget through project management of large capital station projects. The role also provides technical direction in the development of station engineering design standards and equipment purchasing specifications.
- Oversee the development and implementation of major capital projects
- Provide input into required capital programs for reliability and amelioration of constraints
- Failure investigations and reports
- Analysis of outage information to determine root cause and ramifications on classes of assets
- Assessments of system performance and support of performance reporting activities
- Support of generation of reliability index information
- Creation of projects for consideration for annual budgets into Asset Management Software; scoring of projects and preparation of project business cases.
- Development and documentation of Substation and Distribution system contingency plans
- Identify constraints (transmission, station, distribution) within the system
- Allocation of new load to appropriate circuits
- Perform protection coordination studies initiated by stations upgrades or coordination failures
- Short circuit calculations and load flows for system optimization, including voltage profiles
- Impact assessments of distributed energy resources connections on the distribution system
- Ensuring that appropriate data on system loads is accurately captured
- Equipment ratings within the system, and setting operating limits & standards for the various elements in the distribution system
- Provide input during development of technical engineering standards
- Represent Hydro Ottawa at external working groups and conferences
- Special projects as required
- Performs other duties as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Professional Engineer, licensed or able to be licensed in the province of Ontario
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering from an accredited university
- Experience in a utility environment considered an asset
- Project Management and System Planning experience considered an asset
- Experience with Asset Management model beneficial
- Knowledge of ISO55000 considered an asset
- Strong computer skills; proficient in the use of office productivity and collaboration tools, preferably G Suite
- English essential, both oral and written; Bilingual (French/English) or other languages considered an asset
- Valid driver’s license – Class G
This is a management group opportunity and salary will be commensurate with qualifications.