WHO WE ARE
BioTalent Canada is the HR partner for Canada’s biotechnology industry. Our success relies on the power of our relationships – our team has built a dynamic network of associations, academic institutions, service providers, and employers doing incredible, leading-edge work to drive the Canadian biotechnology economy forward. Our services help that network to strengthen skills, connect job-ready talent to industry, and enable employers to create thriving workforces that support their growth.
Recently named a Great Place to Work® and Best Workplaces in Healthcare for 2023, by Great Place to Work Canada, as well as being listed as a Best Workplace by HRD Canada for 2023, BioTalent Canada practices the same industry standards it recommends to stakeholders. These distinctions were awarded to BioTalent Canada following a thorough and independent analysis conducted by Great Place to Work®.
The Canadian bio-economy is people-focused, a career of choice and a key driver of the Canadian economy.
We strengthen Canada’s bio-economy by providing valuable, evidence-based labour market information and the best job-ready human resources available.
Acting in partnership, we harness our candour, enthusiasm and sincerity to demonstrate leadership, credibility, integrity and diversity.
WHAT WE DO
We conduct Labour Market Research to provide insights for our partners into workforce availability. We deliver wage subsidies and facilitate career placement opportunities to help employers reduce the risk of hiring and allow biotechnology workers access to unique opportunities in their field. We provide job search and candidate search tools to connect employers with talent, and we provide professional development opportunities for workers to develop the skills they need to support Canada’s bio-economy. We are connection-creators and relationship-builders, and we thrive on opening doors and creating opportunities for the groups we serve.
Our team is the key to our success. We have a dedicated group of high-performing employees who live our values and are driven to achieve great things, but we balance our commitment and hard work with our joie-de-vivre – we prize hilarious jokes, innovative approaches, diverse perspectives, and community-mindedness.
We take pride in the work environment at BioTalent Canada, and we offer a number of unique programs and benefits to employees to enrich their experience working here. In 2019, we enlisted an external consulting firm to conduct market research to determine the market competitiveness of our current programs and benefits. Out of that study, we learned that among Canadian Non-Profit and Small- to Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs), BioTalent Canada’s collective paid leave programs (including vacation, sick time, personal emergency leave, volunteer time off and statutory holidays) are above market.
We are looking for a Communications Specialist (bilingual) to join our team! This is a 1-year maternity leave contract.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Under the supervision of the Marketing and Communications Project Manager, the bilingual Communications Specialist supports marketing communication plan deliverables and objectives through identifying and coordinating opportunities to increase BioTalent Canada’s brand with stakeholders and new audiences.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Monitor English and French media to report on industry activities, trends and BioTalent Canada mentions to support lead generation and marketing and communications activities
- Plan, coordinate, implement and report on BioTalent Canada’s English and French social media activities
- Support media relations activities
- Ensure messaging via stakeholder channels is engaging, accurate, up-to-date and reflects BioTalent Canada’s voice
- Work with the Marketing and Communications team in the development and implementation of offline and online marketing materials and company communications, ensuring accuracy and clarity while respecting corporate guidelines and confidentiality requirements
- Coordinate with external contractors, as required
- Contribute to marketing and communications plans and activities to support strategic objectives.
- Track activities in the client relationship management system (CRM)
- Identify online and offline marketing and communications opportunities such as interviews, events, speaking opportunities to support
- BioTalent Canada’s goals
- Coordinate and review translation materials
- Prioritize lead generation efforts alongside the regular requirements of the role
- Perform other duties in line with the Mission and Objectives of BioTalent Canada as assigned by the Marketing and Communications, Project Manager
What you will bring:
- Affable team player with an outstanding sense of humour who excels working with team of high performers
- 5-7 years of communications/social media/media relations in a business or non-profit environment
- University or College degree/certificate specializing in Communications, Marketing or equivalent in experience
- Excellent English and French writing and editing skills
- Proven fluency in French (reading, writing and speaking)
- Knowledge of and/or experience working in French language communities
- A passion for marketing and communications
- Working experience with traditional media, websites, social media and related technologies
- Project support/coordination skills to plan, develop, and implement proactive communications initiatives
- Exceptional attention to detail and proofreading skills
- Ability to work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple projects
- Proficiency in standard computer applications
- The ability to travel when required (primarily to BioTalent Canada headquarters in Ottawa)
Preferred qualifications include:
- Knowledge of/experience in the biotechnology industry in Canada
- Experience in non-profit organizations
- Knowledge of website content management programs and Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong interpersonal skills are a definite asset
- Proficient with corporate productivity tools
- Strong listening and presentation skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
BioTalent Canada offers a competitive total rewards package. BioTalent Canada offers a hybrid work environment, with opportunities to regularly work from the Ottawa office. The expectations for this role would involve working from the office a minimum of twice per week.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume outlining their interests and qualifications. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide samples of marketing and social media copy. The posting will remain open until the position has been successfully filled.
BioTalent Canada prides itself on being an equal-opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for applications in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in BioTalent Canada. However, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.