Since 1973, RBR has been designing and manufacturing oceanographic instruments in Ottawa, Ontario to measure our blue planet. The effects of climate change are being seen from the ocean’s abyss to the polar ice caps and our sensors quantify this change to support better analysis, improved planning, and more effective mitigation strategies. Our instruments measure water parameters in some of the harshest environments on the planet! They are mounted on underwater drones, dropped out of planes, and sent to the bottom of the ocean – sometimes for years at a time – all in an effort to get precise and accurate data to support climate research! We have been fortunate to be able to partner with some of the world’s leaders in the field of ocean science, like Fisheries and Oceans Canada, The Scripps Institution of Oceanography, The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, The Norwegian Polar Institute, and The British Antarctic Survey, just to name a few!
At RBR, our people care about the environment, our community, their work, and – of course – each other! We value curiosity, experimentation, and doing the right thing, and while we do some serious work to support world-changing science, we don’t take ourselves too seriously – we like to let our hair down and cut loose too! Our Ottawa team recently moved our HQ to a new space that includes large meeting spaces to encourage collaboration, a sweet snack room, a large and modern lunch area, and even a fish tank!
About the Role
We are looking to hire an Electro-Mechanical Assembler for a full-time permanent day shift position. Reporting directly to our Production Manager, you will be in a hands-on position and have the ability to work independently and produce high-quality products. As part of a small team of technical experts, you must be dedicated, an effective communicator, and thrive in a fast-paced environment. This role is a great opportunity to develop your skills and grow into other areas within RBR.
What You’ll Do:
- Build high-quality electromechanical assemblies
- Read through process documentation, bills of materials (BOM), drawings and electrical schematics to assemble our products
- Perform high-quality soldering using soldering tools, microscope, and other equipment
- Configure and test instruments with our in-house software
- Program PCBA’s with Firmware
- Troubleshoot instruments to determine the root cause of failures
- Work in a fast-paced environment within a team to support process improvements and cross-training initiatives
- Work with Research and Development on new product introductions, with the ability to contribute to DFM initiatives
What You Bring:
- 3-5 years of experience in an electronics manufacturing environment
- Mechanical and electronics assembly experience
- Highly competent in the use of assembly tools, crimping tools, automated equipment, and multimeters, with good hand-eye coordination for small sensitive components
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Demonstrated experience with fine soldering and high precision work
- Proficient with computers as well as the capability to learn various programs a must
- Well organized, team player with good communication skills
- Experience in working with optical components is considered to be an asset
Why Join RBR?
The ability to make an impact and support climate research
- Electric vehicle incentive of up to $10,000 – plus on-site charging stations
- Greener commuting incentive program
- Charitable donation matching of up to $1,000 annually to charities of your choosing
A wide range of employee wellbeing initiatives $200 annual fitness reimbursement program
- Friday lunches (on us)!
- Corporate fitness membership program
- Employee recognition program
- Employee Assistance Program
Competitive vacation, pay, and benefits
- 20 days of annual vacation, plus time off between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day
- Immediate comprehensive benefits plan (medical, dental, etc.)
- Competitive market salary
- RRSP contribution matching
- Referral program for new hires
At RBR we celebrate and support diversity in our workplace, we are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We seek to recruit the best and most talented people for the job, period. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
For more information about RBR, visit our website at www.rbr-global.com.