The role of the Host/Host Family is to provide night and weekend support for residents living at a 3rd Matthew House Ottawa: Refugee Services location, a home for refugee claimants who would otherwise be homeless. Hosts ensure the smooth running of the household, build community, and provide a presence to deal with any urgent needs – all the while maintaining an atmosphere that supports the mission, vision and values of the organisation.
Compensation: Free room and board (e.g. private bedroom, food, internet, utilities)
You would be asked to:
- Live in the house full time
- Be home and/or on call between 20:00 and 07:00 (with time off as approved). You are free to hold a job during the day, and are not expected to be awake through the night in this role.
- Participate in and coordinate house chores (e.g. responsible for maintaining cleanliness of house, ensures garbage removal and recycling and cleaning have been taken care of on a weekly basis).
- Ensure that the food and supplies required are available (provide house manager with shopping lists) and coordinate with volunteer cooks.
- Participate in and build community at the house.
- Report to and work closely alongside the program coordinator: refugee services.
You would also be asked to:
- Welcome and encourage evening volunteers (and other visitors).
- Help with welcoming new residents after hours (weeknights and weekends from time to time)
- Assist with meal preparation to ensure dinner is served (with groceries or frozen meals, from time to time).
- Report any necessary repairs to program coordinator
You would need to have:
- Excellent people skills
- The ability to practice patience with a non-judgmental attitude
- Good communication skills in English mandatory, with strong preference for ability to communicate in French and other languages as well
- Police Records Check (Level 3 – Vulnerable sector check)
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity, and experience working within a culturally diverse environment.
- Experience with conflict management, mediation, and non-violent crisis intervention preferred.
- Passion for the mission of Matthew House Ottawa to welcome and support refugees in Ottawa
NOTE: This role description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Volunteer may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please email your resume to HR@matthewhouseottawa.org, an expression of interest clearly addressing how you meet the requirements and can carry out the essential functions of this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.